match report 12th March

match report 12th March

Mens 1s

Bridgend 1st XI 3-2 Cirencester

The Ravens played their last game of the season with the all important 5th place finish at stake. Cirencester came out of the blocks on fire, with an aggressive attacking start to the game. The boys in blue weathered the storm and Jon Rubery constructed a number of attacks down the right hand side. Bridgend developed a number of chances, but were unable to convert them. A counter attack from Cirencester caught Bridgend napping, who scored a quick counter attacking goal. Bridgend learned from their mistake, ensuring that this was no longer a road easy to travel. Attacking play found its feet through Jacob Hodges, and Andrew Jones Snr, who won a series of short corners. It was David Knight who etched his name onto the scoresheet first from a short corner as he danced around the defence to score from close range. Bridgend continued to pile forward, which their second goal arising from a short corner as Andrew Jones Snr who drilled the ball goalward after a rebound from the goalkeeper.

The second half saw Cirencester continue to pile players forward, but Bridgend’s Alamo kept them at bay. Paul Jones developed a number of individual runs, streaking past the visiting defence, however a further goal did not come to fruition. In an unexpected turn of events, Cirencester clawed a goal back as a deflection popped up at the right places and time for the attacking forward. Not wanting to slump into the summer with a draw Bridgend pushed on, and with 5 minutes to go Gareth Coleman’s trickery outwitted the defence allowing AJ Snr a chance to sneak around the back of the ‘D’ and cross to a waiting Jack ‘Colback’ Jopson, who hammered home the Ravens victory, the jubilant ginger gesticulated joyously on his jog back to the halftime way line, knowing he’d sealed the win for the Ravens. Time to rebuild, regrow and return as promotion contenders after the summer!!


Mens 2s

Stroud 1sts 1-2 Bridgend 2nds

As the season closed Bridgend second eleven battled right till the end even with a bare 11 against the 13 of Stroud. Bridgend began the game attacking through Tim Hodges and John Catton with the later causing problems for the Stroud defenders. The pressure was soon turned into a short corner with the returning Jason Arnold finding a perfect pass to Rhodri Owen who was on hand to deflect home. Stroud replied straight away with a 50/50 call going in favour of the home side. This seemed to send Bridgend into the next gear with Andy Schofield attacking down the right hand side and linking with Andrew Jones jnr to win another short corner. This had the same result as the first. With Steve Murphy teeing up Rhodri Owen who found the net from a well worked training ground move. Stroud pressurised the Bridgend defence till half time with the ever present back 3 of John Woodward, Gareth Collier and Matt Wooster stopping the attackers before they were able to test Adrian Hibbert in the Bridgend goal. As the second half went on the Bridgend side began to tire however the team spirit kept the side on the up. Tim Hodges was on the end of some Bridgend counter attacks causing the Stroud defenders numerous problems with his skill and speed. Stroud had many chances in the second half with most being stopped by Matt Wooster before Adrian Hibbert pulled off the save of the season diving to his right to tip the ball over the crossbar Bridgend’s spirit was high right until the end making sure they won every 50-50 ball. Bridgend finished the season on a high picking up 9 points from their last 4 games
Ladies 1s
Bridgend 2 –¬†Rhondda 0
The blues travelled to pontypridd this weekend to play top of the table team Rhondda. The opposition assumed it was going to be a walk over but Bridgend brought them desire, aggression and determination. They were the stronger team and kept their cool throughout the full 70 minutes. Rhondda had several chances to score but weren’t able to find the back of the net. From great team work between the Bridgend players they got their first goal quite simply. They went on to find the goal a second time after a quick ball into the D from Amy Paice found Louise Jones for a final touch but unfortunately it was disallowed from the umpires. Thankfully the blues were awarded a penalty flick so Louise was able to get her goal in the end. Second half was hard and brutal with Rhondda starting to get angry, being the losing team, but the blues flew on to Victory in style.