Match Reports 10th Dec

Match Reports 10th Dec

Men’s 1s

Bridgend 1st XI 3 – Leominster 5
After a professional performance last Saturday Bridgend looked to gain another 3 critical points in the last game before the Christmas break. The game got off to a sluggish start for the Ravens, who struggled to string together a meaningful series of passes. A lack of progress played on Bridgend’s minds which lead to defensive frailties. The pitch and other factors influenced proceedings which saw Bridgend go 3-0 down at the break. Jonathan Woodward was one of Bridgend’s only positives the shining light in defence mopping up what wasn’t cleared up before him.

The second half continued as a torrid performance with Bridgend however some outstanding pieces of individual play from Gareth Coleman, David Knight and Tim Hodges in particular started to lift Bridgend, who with a four goal deficit started to play the high quality game that is normal for them. After David Knight drew the runners from a short corner he slipped the ball to Rhys Owen who slipped the ball past the near post. Paul Jones made a number of incursions down the right hand side, one of which lead to David Knight laying the ball on a plate for Andrew Jones Jr who drilled the ball into the goal. Tim Hodges came close as did Paul Jones with some difficult to manufacture chances. However it was Jacob Hodges who got the last from a short corner. However Bridgend’s momentum came too late in the day. Unfortunately although clearly the better team on the day circumstances lead to a Bridgend loss. Unfortunate to go into the Christmas break on a loss, but the Ravens are ready to bounce back playing the brand of hockey well within their capabilities.

Men’s 2nds
Bridgend A 4-1 Penarth A

After a recent dip in form Bridgend were determined to go into the Christmas break with a victory over Penarth. It was Penarth who took the early lead from a well worked goal. Bridgend lost star sweeper Matt Wooster early on through a leg injury so club president Steve Murphy slotted into the Bridgend back 3 alongside Andrew Deans and Phil Rees. Bridgend found the early goal as a wake up call and soon started to play a much better brand of hockey transferring the ball from wing to wing with plenty of pace and accuracy. Kris Williams was causing the Penarth defenders plenty of problems doing the right hand side pinning back his ears and slicing through the defence. Bridgend’s open goal was moved around well in the ‘D’ and it fell to Jason Arnold at the back post who was able to slot the ball into the empty Penarth goal. Rhodri Owen began to link well with Paul Davies and Andrew Jones who managed to engineer a Bridgend short corner. This was then converted by Adam Knapp with a super strike from the top of the ‘D’. Owen rallied his troops at half time with some encouraging words, which seemed to have massive effect in the second half. As the spirit the Bridgend team showed couldn’t have been questioned. Matthew Hibbert made some crucial runs and tackles on the left hand side. Often pulling defenders out of position allowing Nick Anthony to find space. Jason Arnold played a perfect ball from his own half to the other end of the pitch where Nick Anthony was on hand to slot the ball passed the Penarth keeper. Bridgend knew that the game was definitely not over and safe. They kept their lead from Andrew Deans pulling off several last ditch tackles and Adrian Hibbert putting his body on the line at the feet of the Penarth attackers. Bridgend were able to once again counter from a Penarth attack with again Jason Arnold playing a superb pass to Kris Williams who combined with Andrew Jones to put the game to bed and claim another 3 points for the Ravens.

Men’s 3rds
Bridgend mens 3rds 3 – 2
Bit of a tumultuous game for the blues this week with the loss of several key players, but thanks to three of the development team players stepping up Bridgend was able to field a strong squad.
It started with the home team controlling all the possession and attacking the Gwent defense consistantly, midfielders Mike John and Ian Blatchford had the pace to control the centre with Jeremy Ingram distributing to the wings who were able to get in behind the defense. The team had several opportunities but a strong opposition defense prevented any goals. Bridgend finally made the breakthrough from a short corner with Jon Catton slotting it in the bottom corner. With few attacks, gwent pushed the bridgend defence of matthew arthur, michael hodges and ieuan llewellyn hard, and eventually it cracked. The half ended 1-1. The second half started with bridgend putting all the pressure on. A number of short corners were won but only one lead to a goal with Jeremy Ingram tapping in a shot at the back post. Bridgend kept on pushing and with a fantastic run by Ian Blatchford who combined with matt hibbert, matthew tudball, matthew daly and jon catton to recollect the ball and push it into the right hand corner. Gwent pulled one back towards the end of the game but the damage was already done. The 3s look forward to the christmas break ready to come back for the new year.

Ladies 2nds
Howardians 3 – bridgend 0
Defensively, Bridgend had a solid game throughout with stand out graft from keeper Megan Hooper as Howard’s attack was strong and fast. Megan’s support of back players were also key in the low amount of converted goals.
Bridgend came alive in the second half with good attacks from Georgie Catton and Seren Bergem, sadly the team were unable to convert any chances. The result was good considering Howard’s wins this season have been a lot higher than 3 goals. Looking forward to the games in 2017!