Match reports 13th Feb

Match reports 13th Feb

Mens 1s

Bridgend 3-3 Whitchurch B

A much depleted Bridgend eleven welcomed rivals Whitchurch to Coleg Cymunedol Y Dderwen on Saturday. Bridgend got out of the blocks well with first team debutant Andy Davis using his skill level to fool opponents, this allowed Rhydian Cole to play a killer ball to on form striker Rhodri Owen who beat the keeper but also found his deflected shot just rise over the cross bar. Bridgend continued to attack but unfortunately Whitchurch began to have things to go their way scoring two break away goals leaving goalkeeper Adam Hawas with no chance. Bridgend continued to battle through the first half with the back 3 of Matthew Arthur, Rob Evans and Rhys Owen combining to turn defence into attack. John Rubery started another Bridgend attack down the right hand side combing with Nick Anthony to get the ball into the D with Rhodri Owen stealing the ball back from the Whitchurch and placing a well timed shot into the back board. A well worked Whitchurch short corner allowed them to regain their 2 goal advantage just before half time, this urged Bridgend on with Andrew Jones, John Catton and Nick Anthony playing in David Knight before he intelligently played a reverse stick shot passed the on coming keeper. Bridgend’s work rate and determination was second to none in the second half with the midfield trio of Rhydian Cole, David Knight and Andrew Jones varying the length of their passes to create holes in the Whitchurch defence. Another John Rubery attack down the right hand side caused more trouble for the Whitchurch defenders as he found Rhodri Owen in space who intelligently slipped the ball between the Whitchurch goalkeepers legs. Bridgend then lost captain David Knight to what he thought was green but actually received a yellow card for a lapse in concentration. Bridgend worked hard in this 10 minute period with Matthew Arthur, Rhys Owen and Rob Evans making many crucial tackles. They were well backed up by the leaping salmon Adam Hawas in the Bridgend goal. Going into the closing stages Bridgend were well on top but just couldn’t find the back board with Rhodri Owen having a chance cleared off the line and David Knights opportunity whistled just passed the post.


Mens 2s

Bridgend A 2-7 Cardiff & Met D

Bridgend travelled east down the M4 to rivals Cardiff. Cardiff began the game playing with speed and precision which shocked the Bridgend side who soon forums themselves facing a 2 goal deficit. However this gave Bridgend the wake up call they needed with some fine inter play by Paul Jones, Jason Arnold and Andrew Jones Jnr allowing Steve Murphy the opportunity to start the fight back. Bridgend kept the game a one goal game with a fine strike from Andrew Jones jnr after Kris Williams and Gareth Coleman gave him the opportunity to convert. Andy Schofield continued to cause the Cardiff defence several problems with his badgering runs. Matt Wooster made some fine tackles and was well supported by John Woodward and Gareth Collier. Adrian Hibbert kept the Cardiff strikers out on several occasion with some fine saves. However Cardiff got the run of the green on this occasion


Mens 3s

Bridgend Hockey Club
3rd X1 Match Report – Sat. 13th Feb. 2016
RESULT:- Bridgend ‘B’ 1, Whitchurch 5

Bridgend were expecting a tough game against top of the league table Whitchurch, and so it proved.
Early exchanges were even, but the pressure on Bridgend’s defence of Steve McIntosh, Derek Jones, Steve Sloan and Mike Allen soon told, as Whitchurch scored two
mid-half goals giving no chance of saving by their skipper and goalkeeper Cliff Harrison.

Bridgend, however, worked hard to keep them in the game, with Steve Price and Jon Wilks creating passing moves to Rhydian Lewis and Jeremy Ingram, with build ups
via Mike John and Matthew Hibbert.

The second half went better for Bridgend with Jon Wilks finding Jack Steer with a firm shot, from which Jack passed to youngster Matthew Daly who was unable to a
shot on goal.
Bridgend continued to work hard as a team effort, and following a well struck cross from Jon Wilks , Rhydian Lewis connected well to send the ball flying pass the
goalkeeper to give Bridgend a good hope of getting something out of the game at 2-1 down.

Whitchurch however recovered from this surprise (for them) and scored three more late goals, but Bridgend take encouragement from the commitment shown in this
tough game.