Match reports 20th October

Match reports 20th October

Men’s 1s
Bridgend 4-4 Bristol and West
Tom Pearce
Rhys Owen
Tim Hodges
Mike Hodges

Bridgend’s intention was to defend their year long unbeaten league run at home. Although starved of possession in the opening five minutes, Bridgend drew first blood as returning defender Rob Evans turned over possession instigating a counter attack, which saw Tim Hodges bamboozle the defence before setting up strike partner Tom Pearce for a well taken tap in. Bridgend’s next foray saw Paul Jones win a short corner which Rhys Owen converted opening his account for the season. It wasn’t long before goal three arrived with Matt Wooster finding Tim Hodges from a restart, talented Tim triumphed, traversing tackles, turning and tucking the ball past the keeper on his reverse. Not to be outdone by his brother Michael’s Hodges joined in on the act as Tim drew the defence to the near post and crossed, magnificent Mike managed to manoeuvre a minefield of men making maul-like moves, and found the backboard. Bridgend’s performance had peaked at this early stage, with Bristol earning a penalty stroke as the half time whistle blew, Captain Adrian Hibbert was unfortunate to not recreate his previous heroics with the score 4-1 at the break.
The second half was a constant barrage from Bristol who clawed their way back into the game, taking full advantage of some of their good fortune. Bridgend were unable to find the net again and succumbed to the pressure letting the victory slip from their grasp. Lessons must be learned before next weeks game.

Ladies 1s
Bridgend had a very close match today against Radner Ladies. In the first half of the match, the score stayed at 0-0. Both teams played very well, our defence working amazingly to clear the ball and protect our goal. There were some great segments of play where the passing was outstanding, and we had a couple of breaks! As the second half started, everyone worked tirelessly to create more chances in the D. After a bit of scrambling with a few unlucky shots being saved, Tanya scored a cracking goal, coming in from the top of the D to put the ball in the back of the net. Some amazing defensive work was played by Aimee Fitzgerald and Anne Bourne and they worked hard to keep us on the attacking lead. Unfortunately we conceded two goals towards the end, making the final score 2-1. Despite the score, everyone played outstandingly and improved their game in the second half. Man of the Match was awarded to Aimee for fantastic defending and attacking when it was needed. Great game everyone!

Ladies 2s
Bridgend seconds 3 against Pembroke seconds 1
14 ladies made the long trip down to Pembroke. The first goal for Bridgend came in the first ten minutes with the forwards uniting in Pembroke’s d and the ball finally pushed under the keeper by Maia Riley. The first half was controlled by Bridgend from the strong centre line of Jo Poupon, Charlie Morris and Liz Pearce. In the last 10 mins of the half a barrage of shots in the d from Chessie Jarvis and Jo finally led to a diving shot from Jo finding its target. The second half saw Pembroke change tactics and attack strongly but were held up by a stalwart performance from the back row of Pauline Harrison Bev Sainsbury and Keeleigh Thomas and some brilliant saves from keeperPat Richards. The first goal in the second half was an own goal from Pembroke as they desperately kept out shots from player of the match Chessie Jarvis and Jo. Pembroke managed to break through the tackles of midfielders Sherry Shawcross and Cerys Richards to score a fine aerial goal in the dying minutes of the game. Huge thanks to forwards Beth Kitch, Casey Smith and midfielder Maddison Gibbons for their contribution in the Ladies 2nds first league win of the season.

Men’s 4ths

Bridgend welcomed back Captain Schofield and from their loftiest ever perch of 3rd in the league looked forward to the journey with some optimism. The reality was a 4-0 drubbing that felt a little unfair in its severity but had Bridgend frantically reaching for the winter woolies.

Penarth were full of menace from the outset and had a team studded with fit and experienced veterans of the sport combined with a flourish of very promising younger players. They poured through midfield and overwhelmed the Bridgend defence twice within the first 20 minutes.

Bridgend rallied and enjoyed several chances of their own but could not convert a goal and in the second half Penarth scored 2 further goals to put the gloss on a fine performance from them.

Bridgend rued a couple of decisions that went against them and could have resulted in goals but, in truth, the performance wasn’t of a good enough standard to properly compete and the team must go back to keeping possession and building attacks patiently.

The youngsters once again worked valiantly hard (Barnaby, James, James, Luke and Jack) and Jack’s powerful crosses became a threat, but the overall team cohesion just didn’t happen this week.