Match reports 21-10-17

Match reports 21-10-17

Men’s 1st
Bridgend 1st XI 4-2 Whitchurch

In what can only be described as apocalyptic conditions Bridgend faced their old rivals. Timothy Hodges head injury was a large blow for the Raven’s squad, but they were fortunate to have the strength in depth to confidently approach the game. Whitchurch made a strong start to proceedings, with Bridgend having to weather the storm from the outset. Some good work from Adrian Hibbert in goal spared the home team’s blushes. Bridgend struggled to move the ball into meaningful areas of the pitch as the Whitchurch team saturated the Bridgend half. This precipitated towards the opening goal for the visitors. Bridgend didn’t let their hopes sink and played a more possession based game, with central defenders Jon Woodward and Rob Evans distributing to the wings. A surreptitious aerial from Rhys Owen found Jason Arnold floating in the ‘D’ who managed to catch the ball on a half volley leaving the helpless keeper lost at sea. A lull in the game caught Bridgend off guard as Whitchurch scored at the far post, this clouded what was a decent first half for the home team.

Although parts of the second half were tempestuous Bridgend knew playing a sensible game would allow them to prevail. With only 15 minutes on the clock Bridgend found themselves down to 9 men, fearing Whitchurch’s attacks raining down on them, the Ravens drained Whitchurch of all possession. Although Captain Gareth Coleman was severely weather beaten by this stage of the game, he created a thunderous run, but was denied a scoring opportunity with a tornado of fouls, which resulted in a penalty stroke for the home team. Rhys Owen coldly put the ball into the corner of the goal tying the game. Andrew Jones Jr was icy entering contact situations making some vital challenges, with Kris Holyoake’s lightening reflexes keeping the game alive. Jon Rubery put the home team in front as he span like a twister before his shot drizzled into the corner. Game management was the order of the day. Rob Evans demonstrated a superb performance to make his mother Gale proud, allowing Paul Jones to storm off with the ball. A cross from David Knight found Tom Pearce who’s trademark deflection found the backboard, all hailed him as the game was beyond the visitors reach. An outstanding display from the Ravens who are undefeated in 8 games.


Men’s 2nds
Gwent A 1 – Bridgend 9
A 9-1 away win over Gwent A was just reward for a Bridgend A side who played with skill, flair and determination throughout.

Keen to continue the positive trend from the following weeks game, Bridgend came out fighting and quickly applied pressure to a Gwent side who had proven to be a tough side to break down in the past. Keeping a strong shape to their play, Bridgend moved the ball around with pace and accuracy. AJ and Steve Murphy bossed the midfield while Mike Hodges proved highly effective on the left. Goals soon came. With Jamie Brooks , Adam Knapp and a sublime top corner finish from Nick Anthony meant Bridgend finished the half 3-0 up.

The second half was just as polished  as the first with Bridgend moving the ball around the field of play well. Once again Gwent were seemingly unable to keep up with the relentless pressure. More goals from Adam Knapp soon followed, with Mike Hodges’ excellent all round play paying off with two goals to his credit and a goal from Steve Murphy also adding to the well deserved tally. Gwent clawed back a late consolation goal  but this couldn’t take the shine off a solid team performance.

9-1 the final score leaving Bridgend now third in the league with a game in hand. A key home fixture against Whitchurch C awaits. On todays performance, it should be a thriller.

Men’s 3rds
Bridgend 3XI

Whitchurch E 1 – 2 Bridgend B

Goal scorers Matt Tudball, Jon Murphy

A quick one-two inside the d early in the first half led to a well finshed goal for Bridgend. The rest of the half was about holding onto the lead with the opposition hitting the post.
The second half started with Bridgend back on the back foot and whitchurch eventually broke to equalise. This pushed Bridgend to get back into the game and dominate possession. A quick break led to a great through ball which was neatly finished under the goalkeeper to win the game for Bridgend.

MOTM David Collier for holding the defence strong while under constant pressure.

Men’s 4ths
Bridgend 4th XI 1 v Gwent 3rd XI 6

Bridgend faced a strong Gwent ‘C’ team at Pencoed in monsoon like conditions.

Playing with the driving rain on their backs in the first half gave Gwent a massive advantage and they swept into an unassailable 4-0 lead. Bridgend continued to build from the back and a great move, the length of the pitch resulted in Michael Wilks scoring his first senior goal for the Club.  Dan Leyshon was strong in goal and Taran Moss put in a huge effort on the right wing.

Bridgend improved in the second half but the youthfulness of the opposition gave the visitors a flattering 6-1 victory.

Bridgend Development vs Radyr
The first game of the new season saw 3 new members join the team. Noah, Barnaby & Luke stepped up to the Mark and all put in fantastic performances. Luke getting his debut goal! Great effort from all, unfortunately ending in a loss but a really positive performance to build on for the rest of the season.

Ladies 2nds
Bridgend 0 – Cardiff Medics 2nds
Bridgend were prepared for a hard game against table leaders.
From the get go, Bridgend were showing their defence weren’t going to make it easy for the visitors.
Frustrated Medics carried on the attacks but Defence Liz Pearce, Pauline Harrison, Kate Zielinski, Bev Sainsbury and Amy Fitzgerald worked well with Freya Johnson to keep it 0-0 at half time.
The second half Bridgend stepped up and put pressure on, Jess Allan, Jess Pearce, Tania Harrison and Janine Burford worked tirelessly with forwards Sherrie Shawcross Jo Poupon, Maia Riley and Angharad Riley, despite the efforts Bridgend were unlucky not to get a goal.
It was at the final whistle when the Medics were awarded a short corner which managed to get in. Freya Johnson’s excellent performance didn’t go unnoticed and she was awarded man of the match.
It was an excellent result considering the Medics have an impressive 19 goals in two games under their belts!