Match reports 31st October

Match reports 31st October

Men’s 1s

Bridgend 1st XI 4-3 Cardiff

Bridgend started like a bat out of hell on this warm Hallowe’en morning. A quick break from Gareth Coleman down the right saw James Griffiths frighten the defence within a minute of the game. Cardiff re-started and a scarial landed straight on James Griffiths stick, a one-two with Andrew Jones left the goal keeper for dead, and Griffiths finished. Cardiff came back quickly, and a deflection from a nothing ball which hit a bobble and bounced against the cross bar to a Cardiff attacker who the scored from what only can be the devils work. Cardiff almost scored another from a short corner, but captain David Knight appeared like a phantom to pick the ball off the line.
Bridgend bounced the ball around well after this, having to work hard to quell cardiff’s counter attacks, with Adam Hawas doing what’s exspectred of him, leaving the opposition feeling hard done by!!Another attacking spell saw Bridgend win a short corner. Rhydian Cole delivered an inch perfect ball witch Jon Rubery set up for Rhys Owen to perform some wizardry and slot the ball low to the right of the keeper. Cardiff, however responded and communication resembled the twilight zone and Cardiff overloaded the ‘D’ to score, taking it to 2-2 at half time.

The game restarted with all the action at the same end, some excellent tackles from Rob ‘Orc’ Evans kept attacks at bay, but it was Cardiff who drew first blood as they committed more men than Bridgend could cover. Bridgend knew if they were to get anything from the game they couldn’t be headless in their approach. Some great attacking play from Bridgend’s forwards James Griffiths, ‘Nearly Headless’ Nick Anthony and Jack ‘O’lantern’ Jopson, but for all their toil and trouble, they could not quite get the goal they desperately deserved. An arial to Paul Jones, gave him opportunity to run at the Cardiff defence, his speed made Cardiff look like zombies. He delivered a great assist to James Griffiths who was not alien to the position he was in, and readily scored.
Coming back into the fray Gareth Coleman plundered the right side like pirate, after carving through the defence on three separate occasions he treated Andrew Jones Snr to having the ball in front of goal, who’s trickery found a route past the keeper banging the ball against the backboard for the win. Cardiff continued a spirited performance, but captain David Knight ensured chances of a Cardiff comeback were deceased!!
Great work for a great result with Bridgend winning by a single ghoul!!


Mens 2s

Cheltenham B 4 – Bridgend A 1
Bridgend visited the team 1 point behind them with optimism and began the game holding thier own for long periods in the 1st half. With goalkeeper Adrian Hibbert in excellent form pulling off some fantastic saves to keep the opposition out. Jason Arnold put the visitors ahead by converting a penalty stroke as Bridgend went into the break with a 1 – 0 lead.
The 2nd half however saw the home team step a gear after some half time coaching from the 1st team and shortly equalised early into the half closely followed by a 2nd from an apparent deliberate foot in front of goal by John Woodward. Bridgend squandered an opportunity through Andy Schofield. Soon after the game got ugly with a decision which Bridgend forward Adam Knapp disagreed with and subsequently was sent off with a yellow card which quickly was changed to a red. Soon after another senior player was given a yellow card and high decent arose and subsequently the game was stopped until calm was eventually achieved. At this point the game was lost and ended in a disappointing 4 – 1 defeat.

Mens 3s

Swansea 1- Bridgend 4

After some evenly matched early exchanges, Bridgend settled in to a good rhythym of quick accurate passes, with their midfield of Andy Davis and Oliver Mizen distributing well, allowing their ever improving winger Gavin Pound opportunities to use his speeed and bring forwards Jeremy Ingram and Jack Steer in to the game.
With strong support from Mike John and Derek Jones, chances soon became Bridgend’s way, but good goalkeeping from Swansea kept the score even.
However, Bridgend did take a deserved lead near to half time, when after seeing a number of earlier short corner chances going begging, one eventually went in when Andy Davis got the final shot to beat the goalkeeper after two good saves in the same move.

The halftime lead did not last long, as Swansea immediately attacked on the restart and equalised as the Bridgend defence was taken by surprise.
Play continued to be fast and accurate from both sides, and with a draw looking likely, Bridgend mounted another good move, with Oliver Mizen making a long and hard accurate pass that found Jeremy Ingram on the edge of the circle, whereupon he magnificently connected to the pass and beat the goalkeeper with a very firm shot.

Swansea mounted attacks but Bridgend’s defence of John Thomas, Steve Sloan and Derek Jones held firm, with goalkeeper and captain Cliff Harrison making good saves when required, although Mike John brought off a great stop on the line to keep Swansea out.

Bridgend continued to attack with Ian Blatchford prominent with good runs down the right, from which one of his crosses found Gavin Pound who scored Bridgend’s third with a tremendous hard shot.
A further chance fell to Jack Steer from a good pass from Jeremy Ingram, but his flicked shot was magnificently saved by the goal keeper.

Bridgend did not relax, and after another good passing movement through a number of players, Gavin Pound scored his second goal and Briidgend’s fourth with a trememndous shot from the edge of the circle that found the roof of the net.

All in all, a great performance from Bridgend, and a good game all round for both sides.