Match reports 4-11-17

Match reports 4-11-17

Men’s 1s:

Bridgend 1st XI 3-1 Lansdowne

The Ravens welcomed Lansdowne to Fortress Pencoed this week, the home team keen to further their unbeaten run. The game got off to a slow start, Bridgend were in the hot seat, but unable to capitalise on their chances around the ‘D’. Tim Hodges laid down his usual marker to let the defence know they would probably be having nightmares tonight. He was unlucky to not be awarded a penalty stroke as he was seemingly taken out by the goalkeeper. The defence of Rhys Owen, Jon Woodward, Neall Hollis and Kris Holyoake mopped up Lansdowne‘s counter attacks, with no real threat. A goal unfortunately would not come. Jon Rubery made a number of incisive runs and linked well with David Knight, however still no goal. New signing Alex Bath entered the game adding another dynamic, after finding his feet, he latched onto a through ball from Rhydian Cole before connecting with a diving sweep hit over the keeper. Gareth Coleman’s army pushed forwards for the rest of the half, but Lansdowne resorted to putting the majority of their team behind the ball. Seeing the first period out at 1-0.

The second half began without any surprises, Bridgend dominated proceedings and patiently built towards Lansdowne’s goal. Paul Jones proved to be a nuisance upgrading possession into scoring opportunities, one of which became a short corner which Captain Coleman hit like a rocket into the bottom right corner, a shot fortunate to hit the backboard and not go through it. Lansdowne made few forays into Bridgend territory an excellent dive from goalkeeper Adrian Hibbert at a short corner kept Lansdowne off the scoresheet, and it was only by fortune and against the run of play that Lansdowne scored as a deflection surreptitiously popped up for the visiting forward. Not to allow any doubt into the game Bridgend headed to the other end of the pitch and Rhydian Cole place the ball passed the keeper, proving himself to be the master of the late goal with his superior stamina. The end of the game was a beautiful master class from Tim Hodges who demonstrated his array of talents and was bitterly unlucky not to score. Additionally Tom Pearce came close at the death of the game, however fortune was not on his side. A good victory for Bridgend who coasted through the game. A greater challenge awaits next week on the road to Cheltenham.

Men’s 2s
Bridgend A 1 – 0 Swansea City B

Bridgend travelled to Swansea looking to continue their winning run. Starting well, the away team looked to create chances with Kris Williams on the right and man of the match, Mike Hodges on the left making effective runs behind Swansea’s defence. The pressure soon told and a quality passage of play was finished well by Jason Arnold. With Bridgend looking to see out the half, the game took a turn when influential defender Matt Wooster took a ball to the face. Unable to continue, Bridgend were forced to make changes in the back line. Swansea came out in the second half fighting but despite some pressure, were unable to turn it into goals. With the game coming to a close, Bridgend looked to see out the game. With a late penalty stroke missed by Swansea, Bridgend were thankful to take all 3 points. Bridgend now look forward to their next game against Cardiff and Met.

Men’s 3s
Bridgend 3s

Penarth B 5-1 Bridgend B

Goal scorer gavin pound

The start of the game saw a lots of possession for Bridgend leading to some nice passing inside the d to set up the first goal. From then on the game became a tightly contested affair with Penarth snatching two lucky goals to go into half time 2-1 up. The second half was dominated by Penarth as Bridgend struggled to complete passes. Big saves from Michael John kept the scoreline from getting out of hand but it was not enough as Penarth run out winners.
MOTM Michael John

Men’s 4ths
Bridgend 2- Whitchurch 3
Bridgend 4ths hosted a strong Whitchurch team at Pencoed on Saturday.

The Ravens started the game brightly with some incisive passing moves creating chances up front for the evergreen Jack Steer and his new apprentice striker Steve Mansell. It was the latter who tucked the ball into then Whitchurch goal following a slick Bridgend attack.

Bridgend were then impacted by a couple of injuries and the visitors grabbed an equaliser just before half time.

The second half started with Whitchurch putting the home team on the back foot and only great goal keeping by Dan Leyshon kept them at bay. However, their persistent pressure paid off and they took a 2-1 lead. Bridgend then fought back with runs down the wings by Jack Hayes and Denver Beer, linking well with Taran Moss and Matt Arthur and one such move led to an equalising goal by Andy Schofield. In the dying minutes Whitchurch got a penalty corner and shattered Bridgend’s hopes of any points the ball hit the backboard giving Whitchurch a 3-2 victory.

Ladies 1s

Bridgend 3- Cardiff Met 6