Match reports 5th December

Match reports 5th December

Men’s 1s
Cirencester 5- Bridgend 1

Bridgend made a lengthy trip to Cirencester, made worse by a 2 hour delay on the m4. Bridgend valiantly started whilst players were still arriving, and kept their opponents at bay for a long period. Numerous chances fell to Jacob Hodges and Jack ‘Jaffa cake’ Jopson, however they were unable to convert. Bridgend went a goal up through a rocket like drag flick from Rhys Owen. However that was the highlight for Bridgend who suffered a number of peculiar decisions. Matt Wooster made a stand out contribution to the game in his debut, tackling hard throughout, proving his transfer to a more prominent club certainly worthwhile!! Bridgend gave themselves a poor showing in the second half, losing to a result that did not just flatter the home team, but felt like an injustice to the visitors.

Men’s 2s
Bridgend 2- Stroud 6
Bridgend A were back to familiar surroundings at Pencoed welcoming Stroud. Bridgend started lively building several attacks from the midfield trio of Paul Davies, Jason Arnold and AJ senior. However it was Stroud who took the early lead, converting a penalty stroke. Bridgend fought back straight away though with Steve Murphy converting from a Kris Williams delicate pass. Bridgend’s heads began to fall late on in the first half after Stroud volleyed home from close range. Another controversial decision left Bridgend facing a 2 goal deficit going into the second half. Bridgend started the second half with defenders Gareth Collier and Tony Price linking with wide players Rhyd Rubery and Andy Schofield creating chances but the final passes were just not going to a Bridgend stick on this day. Adrian Hibbert in the Bridgend goal did his best to deny the Stroud attackers but some well placed shots were just out of reach. Matthew Hibbert got on the end of a pin point Paul Davies pass to score his first second team goal after another fine display from the youngster. However Bridgend ended up going down 6 goals to 2

Men’s 3s
Bridgend enjoyed one of their best results for many a long time, as their team work and passing game returned and was rewarded by creating many chances in addition to the goals scored.
Ian Blatchford on the wing for the ball to cross to Jon Catton on the edge of the circle, and for his firm shot to beat the goalkeeper.
This was repeated a few minutes later, with Bridgend showing good passing between Matthew Arthur and Gavin Pound, for Jon Catton to score his second goal with a crisp shot.

Further pressure from Bridgend saw Rhydian Lewis score as Penarth failed to clear and on the stroke of half-time, Ian Blatchford scored with an excellent turn in a tight cluster of players.

With Bridgend so dominant, their defence were caught by surprise when Penarth built an attack from which they scored, giving skipper and goalkeeper Cliff Harrison no chance.

An excellent result for Bridgend that augers well for the second half of the season.

Ladies 1s
Presteigne made a big trip down to Bridgend’s home pitch this weekend. With the long trip they were sure to be full of adrenaline, and sure enough they were. They came out strong and attacked hard for majority of the game. The Blues had many chances but were only successful once with great short, sharp passes between Sophie Evans, Emma Winch and Jo Poupon – who was the scorer of the match. With a 8-1 loss Bridgend ladies are ready to move onto their final game before Christmas next weekend against Barry

Ladies 2
Whitchurch Valley 5- Bridgend 0
Bridgend travelled up to Blackwood to face Whitchurch valley and with lack of players, Bridgend were going to be up against it.
Early in the game, Whitchurch valley won a short corner and this caused injury to stand in keeper Liz Pearce.
It was an unlucky turn of events but Bridgend gave 100% and hard work dedication made caption Emily proud.