Match reports 5th November

Match reports 5th November

Men’s 1s

Bridgend 1st XI 1-4 Cardiff and met

After a strong performance last week achieving a point on the road to the league leaders Bridgend faced Cardiff and met, whom they beat in the cup at the start of the season. Bridgend made a strong start, outplaying Cardiff for the majority of the half. This culminated in a short corner score from Rhys Owen, drag flicked past the keepers right boot. Not long after Bridgend conceded a short corner heavily against the run of play. A great save from Adrian Hibbert was not fully cleared and after what felt like an age Bridgend were punished. Despite the scoreline Bridgend dominated the game, with Cardiff observers to some excellent passages of play which lead to a frustrating nothing for the home team.

The second half saw Bridgend with the lions share of possession. Opportunities were created with Tim Hodges having a shot run agonisingly across the line. Bridgend conceded a second however as punishment for not taking their chances. Bridgend continued to have the vast majority of possession, however they became more fraught attempting to force opportunities which did not truly exist. This gamble did not pay off. As Cardiff scored a further two from counter attacks. Overall a bad day at the office for the Ravens.
Men’s 2s
Cardiff Uni B 3-1 Bridgend A

Bridgend started spritely moving the ball around well with Tom Pearce, Kris Williams and Ed Jackson getting themselves into fantastic positions. Matt Wooster, John Woodward and Gareth Collier were solid at the back with Cliff Harrisson pulling off some crucial saves behind them. It was the students who took the lead in the first half with a scramble for the ball in the ‘D’ and after many ricochets the ball fell to the university striker who tapped the ball into an empty goal the students soon doubled their lead getting the run of the green from some 50:50 decisions. As the second half began Bridgend started moving the ball well through Jon Rubery and Rhodri Owen linking well with Andrew Jones. Steve Murphy played the ball onto Nick Anthony who dazzled into the ‘D’ to win a Bridgend short corner. A strong injection from Rhodri Owen allowed Steve Murphy to link with Andrew Jones, before Jones lifted the ball over the goalkeeper into the top of the net. Bridgend continued to press throughout the second half with Matthew Hibbert carrying the ball well down the left hand side. He had a shot stopped on the line by a Uni foot which lead to another Bridgend short corner. Bridgend continued piling on the pressure but soon the students caught Bridgend’s tiring legs on the counter forcing Cliff Harrison into several saves. However he couldn’t quite keep out the third goal. Bridgend welcome Gwent A to Pencoed next week hoping to get back to winning ways.

Men’s 3rds
Llan & Caerphilly A 3 – 2 Bridgend B

After an impressive win last week, Bridgend went into this week full of confidence. The game started under heavy pressure from Llan & Caerphilly but the defence of Michael John, Michael Hodges, Steve McIntosh and Matthew Arthur held strong and denied Llan a goal. The pressure mounted and a short corner was eventually conceded. Llan leaped at the opportunity and scored with a hard, low hit into the corner. This spurred Bridgend to turn the tide of the half and get a few shots of their own. Within quick succession, 3 short corners were given but Bridgend couldnt capitalise. The pressure increased and with great link up play between Ian Blatchford, Jon Catton and Tom Hopkins lead to Bridgend scoring with a low hit from Tom Hopkins.
The second half was a lot more even and with two quick goals from Llan, the game seemed lost. The midfield of Jon Murphy, Jon Wilks, Rhyd Lewis and Jeremy Ingram ran tirelessly throughout. Another short corner was awarded and an aerial from Jon Catton fooled the defense and went into the back of the net. Jack Steer, Derek Jones and Matt Daly also worked hard during a tense match.
Bridgend ladies 1s
Cardiff & Met 1 – Bridgend 2
Bridgend looked to build on the momentum from last week’s narrow home defeat and were in fighting spirit away at Cyncoed campus. Bridgend started brightly and dominated much of the first half play. Youngster Jaz Gamble went wide with a shot after some neat play from Sarah Boyd and Jo Poupon. Cardiff looked dangerous on the counter and were first on the score sheet after a decisive break. Motm Holly Walker took control from centre back and started spraying some fantastic passes. Bridgend’s midfield and forwards began to link well and following a series of 1-2 passing, skipper Jo Poupon popped up far post to equalise. The second half was all Bridgend with the home team offering nothing in attack. Bridgend earned a short corner in the dying seconds of the game and Louise Jones despatched a rocket of a strike worthy of a guy Fawkes display!
Bridgend ladies 2s
Whitchurch 2 – Bridgend Ladies Seconds 0.
Bridgend kept Whitchurch to a goalless draw for the first half of the game. The perseverance of Seren Burgum and Lauren Hancock working strongly together to drive up the left wing and offer the ball to strike was impressive. With several opportunities of striking at goal giving us no reward, the team kept up the pressure. The opposition mentioned the excellent play from Jessica Pearce and Aimee Fitzgerald, but Hannah Sainsbury took MOTM for her consistent ‘never give up’ attitude. It has to be said that the goalkeeper, Freya Johnson made countless outstanding saves which kept the score down to 2 goals in the second half. With a busy weekend of hockey ahead next week, it is hoped that the team is now settling in and look forward to opportunities to gain points.