Match Reports 7-10-17

Match Reports 7-10-17

Mens 1s

Bridgend 1st XI 8-3 Cirencester

Hot off the previous week’s victory the Ravens wanted to keep momentum going. Cirencester mounted a series of attacks in the opening 10 minutes, a few last gasp touches from Jon Rubery and Jon Woodward were the only thing between Bridgend and a devastating start. As one attack ended another began as Rhys Owen launched a ball to Tim Hodges who found himself with only a keeper to beat, no problem for the superstar. Cirencester pulled one back soon after but Bridgend pushed on as Andrew Jones senior played in Rhys Owen at short range who drilled past the keeper, as with the first goal, Bridgend were overloaded and Cirencester pulled one back. The game changed when all looked lost as the ball flew toward the top corner of Bridgend’s goal only to be chested away by goalkeeping prodigy Cliff Harrison. Bridgend sparkled and a superbly controlled high ball by Kris Holyoake allowed the Kiwi to play in Tim Hodges to get his second. A casual hat trick for Andrew Jones Snr created in the most part by David Knight through short corners and well placed passes took the home team 6-2 up at the break.

A second goal from Rhys Owen with a drag flick high to the keeper’s right, whizzed into the goal starting proceedings for the second half. Bridgend conceded one further goal as numerous substitutes came on, but the introduction of Andrew Jones Jr created a new facet to the attack whilst suring up the defence. order was restored as Tim Hodges produced a scintillating run leaving three defenders rooted to the spot before completing his hat trick going past the keeper who could only watch in awe at the young man’s talent. Andrew Jones Snr worked tirelessly in midfield alongside Captain Gareth Coleman and Rhydian Cole, some useful work around the ‘D’ from Tom Pearce, Paul Jones and Nick Anthony created further opportunities, with Jason Arnold and David Knight unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet too.

Exceptional result from the Ravens who face Stroud next week.

Mens 3rds

Bridgend 3’s vs Swansea Uni 3-4

Today we played a young high pressing and counter attacking team in Swansea Uni. But we dug in and played the game we wanted to play with Tony distributing from centre back and Steve Murphy and Denver Beer controlling our game in the midfield. Some great runs made by Michael David John and Gavin Pound on the wings. We had our chances up front with Andrew Davis and Jon Murphy getting some good early touches. A goal from Michael John from a short corner kept the scores tied. A shot from the top of the D by Steve Murphy and Ian Blatchford made some fantastic saves in goal kept Bridgend in the game. First half ended 3-2. Fantastic interplay between Jeremy Ingram, Andrew Davis and finished off by Jon Murphy gave Bridgend a way back to 4-3. Some ill discipline on both sides opened up the game allowing them to take the ball to the corner to see out the game. Some great hockey played with most of it being end to end stuff. A great platform to kick start the season.

Mens 4ths

Bridgend 4th XI

Bridgend 4th XI played their first league game of the season against old foes, Neath.

The Ravens, started the game at a high pace with strong runs from Tom Rosser, Mike Wilks and Taran Moss. Some clinical passing enabled Bridgend to break rapidly. Experienced campaigners Jon Wilks, Dave Collinson and Jack Steer combined well with the youngsters to create the first goal for Nick Allen and giving a Bridgend a deserved halftime lead.
After the break Neath fought back and quickly equalised before Bridgend restored their lead through Allen’s second. Steve Price, John Thomas
and Jack Hayes defended excellently with keeper Dan Leyshon making important saves.
Bridgend despite their efforts found themselves conceding three quick goals against the run of play, only managing to grab a late consolation goal in the final seconds giving a final result of 4-3 to Neath.