Match reports 7th November.

Match reports 7th November.

Men’s 1s

Bridgend 1st XI 4 – 2 Whitchurch

Bridgend started strongly on a wet and dreary November morning. A good sign of the team’s strength in depth, as six of the usual squad were unavailable. The ball was bounced around the Ravens squad for the first quarter of the game, showing who was going to dominate the game. Jon Rubery and David Knight worked tirelessly in the middle, linking defence to attack. After pressuring the defence for a long period, the first break in the game landed to the newly returned Jacob Hodges, who’s deceptive shot sent the goal keeper the wrong way. Some strong play down the right hand side from Andrew Jones Jr. allowed great interplay between the forwards who pin balled the hockey ball for it to fall to Bridgend’s new signing Ross Biggar who drilled the ball against the backboard for his debut goal.
Although opportunities came in abundance Bridgend were unable to pull the trigger, taking the score to 2-0 at half time.

The second half started with another strong showing from Bridgend who were the dominant team again from the outset. The ball was sprayed through the back three of Rhys Owen, Robert Evans and the returning Neall Hollis. A run of Bridgend short corners culminated in captain David Knight dancing effortlessly through the oncoming defence and threading in Ross Biggar for his second. At 3-0 Bridgend were guilty of taking their foot off the gas, this meant the defence had more to do, but with the help of Paul Jones, the Ravens kept the opposition attacks at bay. The Ravens attack took the ball to the the to the right of the Whitchurch goal, this pulled the defence high leaving a gaping space at the back post, where Rhodri Owen lay in wait, as a sign of good faith, he played an assist to Ross Biggar who rounded off his hat trick for the ideal debut performance!! Whitchurch, with 5 minutes to go squeezed a shot from an impossible angle which put them on the scoresheet. Bridgend eased off the pressure again, a tactic from which to learn, as this allowed another Whitchurch goal. The match finished with a score line that flattered the losers, but this victory will keep allowing Bridgend to develop from strength to strength.


Men’s 2s

Bridgend 3- Cardiff Met 3

Bridgend second team welcomed Cardiff and Met to fortress Pencoed on a windy Saturday afternoon. Cardiff started strongly forcing Adrian Hibbert into several saves. He was well supported by some brilliant defending by John Woodward, Gareth Collier , Matt Wooster and Tony Price. Super sub Kris williams joined the game after 15 minutes and immediately made a big impact squaring the ball to Rhys Rubery who fired the ball into the top corner with a fine reverse strike. Bridgend continued to pressurise Cardiff with Andy Schofield playing in Steve Murphy who shot at the keeper twice before succeeding on the third attempt. Cardiff pulled back right on the half time whistle from a fine back which was enough to beat star stopper Adrian ‘the log’ Hibbert. Bridgend began the second half like Barcelona which was inspired by president and second team skipper Steve Murphys half time team talk. Jason Arnold and Andrew Jones senior played in Andy Schofield who hit home from the top of the day to regain their 2 goal advantage. Some lacklustre defending once again allowed Cardiff back in the game giving Bridgend only a slender one goal advantage. Cardiff went on to cancel out Bridgend’s lead from a short corner as the game began to open up. Matt Wooster made a fine tackle and offloaded the ball to Jason Arnold who went on to winning a short corner which resulted in a Bridgend strike hitting the woodwork. Bridgend continued to pressurise Cardiff but couldn’t beat the outstanding Cardiff goalkeeper. This game was definitely 2 points dropped rather than a point gained for the Bridgend outfit.

Ladies 1s

Bridgend 3- Whitchurch Saints 3

It was a big game for Bridgend Ladies 1s today as they have been free from games for two weeks so there were bound to be some tired lungs at the end of the 70 minutes. Whitchurch Saints 3s took their first goal from under Bridgend’s noses and were up within minutes; but this didn’t set the Blues back as it encouraged their motivation more. From the previous evenings down pour the pitch was not at its best but they didn’t let it get them down. Both teams battled well up and down the pitch and some great team work was made between Sophie Evans and Jo Poupon running in pairs breaking down the Saints’ defence. Sarah Boyd was another strong player today. She broke down their attacking play continually and never gave up. Emma Winch made some excellent runs and passes up the field which led to her scoring one of the important goals for Bridgend today. Along with Emma our other goal scorers were Jo Poupon and Amy Paice each scoring one. On the final whistle Whitchurch Saints were granted a short corner which meant Bridgend’s defence had to battle against 10 of the opposition. The current score was 3-3 which meant it was a very intense moment for both teams. To up the anti they were awarded 3 more back to back. Fighting with all their might Bridgend kept the match ball from finding the backboard, which left the final scoreline at 3-3. Although the Ladies were short of winning by the length of a goal wheel, they take a point away from the game rather than leaving with nothing.
Bridgend have a double weekend next week playing a league game and a cup game so pressure is on to keep up fitness and come out on top with two big Wins.


Ladies 2s

Cardiff met 5 – Bridgend 3

Was a tough game this week as Bridgend ladies 2nds faced a student squad. Bridgend’s downfall this week was lack of availability in the team which meant 12 players and no goal keeper. Bev Sainsbury stepped up and adopted the role of kicking back while defence line Liz Pearce, Amy Fitzgerald and Pauline Harrison displayed great defence tactics.
Students got the first goal of the game shortly followed by Bridgend’s Leanne Jones following great running and skills from Brogan Thomas.
Cardiff returned with another converted short corner but again, closely followed by Hannah Sainsbury converting a short corner. Cardiff scored with a few seconds left in the first half.
Cardiff were keen for the win and started the seconds half with a bang. Heavy on the attack and saw them score twice.
Brogan repeating her excellent running down the wing, brought the ball into the D where Emily Phillips managed to put it pass the keeper.
Final result 5-3 to the students but all in all a game for the Ladies to be proud of.

Fixtures 14th November

Mens 1s Home V Penart 1:30pm

Mens 2s Away V Cheltenham 3:30pm

Mens 3s Away V Gwent 11:00am

Ladies 1s Away V Cardiff Uni 12:00pm

Ladies 2s Home V Abergavenny TBC