Match Reports 8/12/2018

Match Reports 8/12/2018

Men’s 1s

Bridgend men’s 1st traveled to Leominster with hope and expectation of a result. The ravens started the brightest winning a few short corners after moving the ball around well down the right with Neall Hollis and Jon Woody Woodward providing great interplay with midfield Rhyd Cole and Mike hodges. Unfortunately Bridgend couldn’t capitalise on these but cane close after great work from Steve Murphy and Jason Arnold led to a shot from Paul Jones that beat the Leominster keeper but bounced off the post. Leominster had their share of attacks but the defence of Kris holliloke, Matt Wooster, lee Marshall and keeper Adrian hibbert kept them out. Making changes brought in Rhodri Owen and Matt Tudball who tried hard to break down the Leominster back line. The teams went in 0-0 at halftime.
Bridgend knew that the second half was going to be tough but needed to play well, both teams exchanged blows and a few chances at either end made for a good game of hockey. Unfortunately for Bridgend a lapse in concentration for 10 mins proved costly as Leominster scored 3 goals and won the game. Although coming away without any points there were many positives for the ravens to work on when the league reconvenes after the Christmas break in January.

Ladies 2s
Rhondda Ladies 1 – Bridgend Ladies 2nds 1. If we had to use just one word to describe this game it would be “frustrating”. Rhondda Ladies had just one productive attack in the whole game which resulted in a short corner, the injector appeared to hit the ball at least twice before passing to another player, the initial shot was saved but not cleared but then another shot went into the corner of the goal. This was the sum total of their attacking play and despite the same old story of Bridgend having the majority of play and possession they just couldn’t convert and the first half finished 1-0 to Rhondda. It was during a period of sustained pressure in the second half that Bridgend scored, a lovely ball came across the goal, touched mid air by Clare Jarvis and hammered home by Emily Hopkins. The remainder of the game was all Bridgend pressure but sadly the score remained 1-1 until the final whistle.

Men’s 3rds

Bridgend ‘B’ 6 – 1 Llanishen & Caerphilly ‘A’
Llanishen & Caerphilly  put up some spirited opposition in the first half and, after an opening goal from Bridgend, equalised with a goal that briefly had Bridgend suffering.
Bridgend scored another goal to calm matters before half time but, in truth, the performance had not roused the less than capacity crowd at fortress Pencoed to its feet at any stage and the atmosphere could best be described as Episode II rather than IV.
Step forward the young Luke – Davies, this time rather than Skywalker. With a much improved midfield led by some incisive accuracy and hard running from Brett Leeming and an increasingly assured performance from Captain Murphy, Bridgend began to find space in attack and young Luke began to grow in confidence and influence. His youthful counterpart James Morgan also began to generate some impact and the overall effect was to rattle in 4 unanswered goals.
You, dear reader, will have known for the last couple of paragraphs what is coming. Luke began to properly feel the force and bagged 2 of the goals himself with expertly aimed missiles which destroyed the Death Star of Llanishen & Caerphilly and earned much back slapping at the final whistle.
Who was Han Solo? Why, Denver Beer, of course, the determined rebel who refused to allow any opposition attacks to flourish. I’ll leave the onlookers to determine who was Chewbacca.
This was a splendid performance from Bridgend and they go into next week’s ‘Top of the Table’ clash with Penarth in excellent spirits. Well played everyone!