Match reports 9th Dec

Match reports 9th Dec

Men’s 1s

Bridgend 7 – 1 Yate

Bridgend welcomed Yate to a chilly Pencoed looking to extend their impressive run of league results. A strong start from the home side saw them control the pace of the game and build attacks at ease. Quick, slick passing created numerous chances early on.

Only dramatic saves from an in form Yate goalkeeper kept the sides level. However, Bridgend didn’t lose their cool knowing the sustained pressure would soon bring rewards. David Knight finally managed to break the deadlock with a trademark calm finish. This helped the side build on the positive start and soon the goals were flowing from in form forwards Tom Pearce and Tim Hodges.

Numerous runs down both flanks from Paul Jones and John Rubery terrorised the Yate defence. To add to this, the switch of play through defenders Kris Holyoake, Neall Hollis and Rhys Owen only created more space for Bridgend to exploit. Controlling the midfield, Gareth Coleman and David Knight tied it all together and Bridgend were in fine form.

On another day, and without such a good performance from the away keeper, there could have been many more goals for the hat-rick heroes Tim and Tom.

When not involved in the build up play, Matt Wooster and John Woodward ensured any hopes of Yate counter-attacking were short lived. A quieter day for goalkeeper Adrian Hibbert, who was still in fine form when called upon.

With this game marking the halfway point in the season, it means Bridgend have now played all teams in the league and remain undefeated (10 wins and 1 draw).

Men’s 2s

Bridgend Mens A 4 – 1 Neath

Second placed Bridgend travelled to third placed Neath, keen to keep their promotion aspirations on track. Fielding a strong team, Bridgend looked to make full use of their 12 man squad to ensure they dictated the tempo of the game.

Man of the match, Matt Tudball was instrumental from the onset, running at the Neath defence and turning them inside out. With Lee Marshall looking equally at ease on the left side of the pitch the ball moved quickly through AJ and and Steve Murphy who worked tirelessly to supply the forward partnership of Jason Arnold and Captain Nick Anthony.

An early opening goal from The Bridgend Captain settled the nerves and with a second slotted home from Jamie Brooks, Bridgend ended the half 2-0 up.

Conscious that a goal for Neath could quickly get them back in the game, Bridgend Looked to the defensive line of Rob Evans, AJ and Matt Lehman to protect Keeper, Cliff Harrison’s goal.

With Andy Schofield providing much needed cover in midfield, Bridgend were keen to finish off the game. With a fine passage of play slotted home by the industrious Nick Anthony, Jamie Brooks added a forth.

Neath scored a consolation goal, however Bridgend were far too good for them on the day. 4-1 the final score, Bridgend now face Cardiff Uni next weekend looking to avenge the only defeat they have suffered this season.

Bridgend B 2-2 Whitchurch E

Coming off the back of a tough loss against Cardiff, Bridgend went into this game with a big squad utilising the 4s game being cancelled but knowing Whitchurch had cancelled the three teams around them. A back and fourth game lead to 1-1 at half time as Bridgend keep their streak of scoring goals from short corners by captain Jon Murphy. The second half continued in the same fashion with Whitchurch scoring first but a quick counter from Bridgend allowed debutant Taron Moss score with a low driven slap past the keeper. The game finished level which keeps 5 points between Bridgend and Whitchurch.

MOTM Taron Moss for a well taken goal on his debut