Match reports and Youth Presentation

Match reports and Youth Presentation

Bridgend 1st XI 5-1 Swansea University

Welsh Trophy semi-final

Having dominated the league this season, Bridgend wanted to round off the year in style by advancing to the final of the Welsh Trophy. Facing a Swansea team who dominated their respective league, Bridgend knew this would not be a walk in the park.

Swansea were quick on the break with a number of sharp breaks into their attacking third, fortunately centre back pairing of Matthew Wooster and Jon Woodward were able to disrupt any attacking play before it amounted to anything more dangerous. Transfers between these and the full backs Rhys Owen and Kris Holyoake gave Bridgend a strong platform to build through the midfield. Closed contact play between David Knight and Gareth Coleman, then Andrew Jones senior created numerous attacking options. Bringing winger Jon Rubery into the game down the right lead to Bridgend winning a short corner. The result of which saw Rhys Owen zip the ball past the goalkeeper. The following quarter saw Bridgend face a slew of short corners which goalkeeper Adrian Hibbert made some important saves to, protecting Bridgend’s slim lead. At the other end of the pitch Tom Pearce, Tim and Jacob Hodges caused havoc, which eventually lead to a Swansea defender stopping a sure goal with his leg, earning a penalty stroke for Bridgend. Rhys Owen stepped up to double the lead, using misdirection to fool the goalkeeper. Chances fell to Gareth Coleman who came close to connecting with his trademark volley; and Jon Rubery who eliminated the goalkeeper and unfortunately cleared the goal with the following shot.

The second half of the game saw Rhydian Cole advance up the pitch, creating an opportune chance before being unfortunately dispossessed on the edge of the ‘D’. The Ravens next goal followed shortly after with Tom Pearce the provider for Tim Hodges. As this period progressed further chances arrived for Bridgend, Paul Jones proved his pace was far greater than that of somebody half his age, allowing him to dart into attacking positions from the left. Neall Hollis found himself in a rare attack’s scenario entering the ‘D’ unfortunate, not to gain more from the venture. Bridgend profited from the game as it allowed them to give three 1st team caps. Matthew Tudball was thrown in at the deep end, having to work hard to gain possession and involved himself with a number of attacking moves. Shortly after Tim Hodges claimed his second on the afternoon, him creative play allowed him to make himself shooting space before passing the ball into the goal. This lead to the introduction of goalkeeper Dan Leyshon making 1st XI debut, replacing Adrian Hibbert who deserved his clean sheet. Leyshon was unfortunate to concede but outnumbered in the ‘D’, however he managed to produce an excellent save from a short corner. The final inductee to the Bridgend squad was Michael Hodges, who, playing alongside his brothers Tim and Jacob for the first time helped set up a fantastic family finale to the game. Jacob, picking the ball up deep in his own 25 broke as Mike and Tim chased on, the three of them arriving simultaneously in the opposition ‘D’. Following a number of passes between themselves, Tim was able to find the backboard and complete his hat trick as the final whistle sounded. Bridgend eagerly await the final weekend in a months time.

Ladies 1s
Bridgend ladies 1s vs Kington
Bridgend won the toss and started the game. From the off it was fast paced, ball going from one end to another in a clash of sticks. Both teams battled well, switching play from side to side to gain some space. Kingston attacked several times with great saving tackles from Bridgend backs. The play continued from one D to the other with referee decisions being crucial. Bridgend keeper made a save with Jess Pearce clearing the line with ten minutes before half time. Bridgend broke with the midfield passing up the pitch to the forwards Jo Poupon and Louise Jones which resulted in a short corner. Jo Poupon Scores for Bridgend with a few minutes to go before half time.
Like the first half, as the whistle blew to start the second half, the game continued to be fast pasted with decisions going against both teams. Both keepers made vital saves however it was Bridgend who kept their cool with the referees. Kingston midfielder was sin binned with ten minutes to go. Again the ball went from one end to the other but neither team could get the ball in the goal. With 30 seconds on the clock Kingston was awarded a short corner. It was passed out and passed to the left. A solid hit and the ball went past the Bridgend defence and into the bottom left corner. Final score 1-1.
A fantastic team effort from Bridgend ladies with great support from the side line.

Bridgend Hockey Club – Youth Presentation 2017-18 

Bridgend Hockey Club demonstrated that is going from strength to strength when the Clubs youngsters met to celebrate the season’s success. 

Hosted at Bryntirion Dance Studios, the event, attended by 75 of the young players and their parents, was a chance to reward all the players and give special awards to the youth players in each age category and the 8 youth teams fielded by the club this year. The players and parents also showed their appreciation for the volunteer coaches at the club who work tirelessly to help the children improve. 

The winners of the Most Improved Player Awards for the girls’ teams were Charlotte Woodward, Grace Davies, Lili-Mei Scully, Olivia Webb and Keeleigh Thomas whilst Harry Mallinson, Josh Dommett and Lewis Kerrigan picked up the trophies for the boys’.  

The girls’ Players of the Year were Agatha Davies, Ava Gregory, Katie Richards, Ellen Hughes and Kate Zindlinski. The boys’ Players of the Year being awarded to  Izaac Bowness, Tristan Allen and Dan Stoodley in their respective age groups. 

The strength of each age group bodes well for the future of the club when the new season starts in September.