Match Reports Jan 30th

Match Reports Jan 30th

Bridgend 1st XI 3 -1 Bristol Uni
Bridgend started strongly against the travelling university team, who looked lost amongst Bridgend’s expansive passing game. The Raven’s headed one direction only at the start, which was goalward. It didn’t take long for David Knight to link with fellow forward Jacob Hodges who peppered the opposing keeper with a barrage of shots, leaving him disoriented, for Rob Evans to navigate his first ever first team goal through the ‘D’ into the bottom corner of the goal. 

The blues continued to find space for themselves allowing wandering winger Paul ‘Roadrunner’ Jones chance to draw foul after foul as his blistering pace proved too much for the opposition. Jon Rubery’s attack down the right wing fed Jacob Hodges again who this time took his captain’s direction to win a short corner. Rhydian Cole’s precision injection was presented perfectly for Rhys Owen who fired high to the keeper’s left leaving him looking around for what happened as the ball hit the net. Although Bridgend had more chances the half time score was 2-0. 
The second half saw Bristol find themselves a little easier, piling on the pressure, only to be sent looking for an alternative route by Neall Hollis and Jamie Brooks. The blockade created by these two, saw Andrew Jones Jr break up play, threading a glorious ball to Jacob Hodges, who sent three defenders the wrong way with his skill, then passed the ball to David Knight who parked the ball in the goal. Bridgend continued as the dominant team, with Adam Hawas coming into play to keep Bristol out. Although Bristol scored a fortunate deflection against the run of play, the result had been mapped out for a long time.

Brecon 3-1 Bridgend A

Bridgend travelled to bottom of the league Brecon on what appeared to be a fine Saturday afternoon. However on arrival the heavens opened with the sun turning to rain, sleet and snow. Bridgend beginning the game with Rhys Rubery making some key runs down the right hand flank testing the Brecon defence on several occasions. Bridgend went in all square at half time thanks to some key Adrian Hibbert saves. Brecon began the second half defending several attacks down the left hand side from Rhodri Owen who was able to convert the possession into short corners. However Brecon managed to counter attack on 2 separate occasions to gain a 2 goal advantage. Bridgend then continued to pressurise the Brecon defence with Gareth Coleman narrowing the lead. Brecon again scored another lucky goal to gain a 3-1 advantage. Even though Bridgend continued to attack creating several goal scoring opportunities.
Bridgend b 4 Gwent B1

Bridgend carried on from last week’s game with fast and accurate passing to put Gwents defence under pressure which resulted in a short corner which saw Steve mc score from a nice one two with Jon Wilks.

Speedsters Ian and Gavin kept on with the attacks out wide linking up with the midfield with Gavin getting a shot on goal and scoring Gwent put some attacks together which was dealt with by Bridgend defence score at halftime was 2-0 to Bridgend.

Second half and Bridgend started strongly from the whistle youngsters Matthew hibbert and Matthew Daly played a good game up front linking well with Jeremy Ingram and the midfield which saw Matthew hibbert scoring Bridgend 3rd goal Gwent picked themselves up and tried to put in some strong attacks which Bridgend defended well and cleared their lines with some quick passing to Gavin who beat the goalkeeper to score Bridgends 4 goal Gwent put in couple of attacks which resulted in them finding a way past Bridgend defence and scoring.thanks to the subs who didn’t get on today and to the supporters who braved the cold to watch this good game
Swansea 4- Bridgend ladies 2’s 1

Early start for Bridgend ladies 2nds against Swansea Uni. From the beginning the students were wide awake, and Bridgend not so much, although Brogan Thomas and Georgia Catton did a good job of transferring the ball in to the Swansea half and allowed Bridgend to put the students under pressure, however 2 breaks in play saw Swansea drill the ball back and score twice in quick succession. Closely followed by a goal from Leanne Jones after excellent play from Brogan Thomas and Carys Sheard. Score of 3-1 at half time. 

Bridgend identified at half time what they needed to bring to the second half, this gave bridgend the kick they needed and they started to attack the goal and twice were unlucky to not score on short corners and from other shots on goal. The second half was a much better display of hockey after changes in the team settled and we are hoping to take that level to next week’s game. Man of the match Brogan Thomas