Match Reports Saturday 20th October 2012

Match Reports Saturday 20th October 2012

Bridgend Ladies 1XI 0 v Whitchurch Saints II 3

An excellent effort from the ladies 1st XI with a final score that did not reflect the girls hard work and strength. The first half saw a number of shots on goal, unfortunately none making it past the Whitchurch keeper. A strong mid field including Carys Jenkins and Lauren Rees however meant that the attack remained robust and at half time the team were only 1-0 down. A determined and focused team came back fighting in the second half, the defence worked the ball well around the pitch with some key tackles from Liz Pearce and Rachel John, but the team had to accept defeat at the final whistle with a score of 3-0.

Bridgend Ladies 2XI 3 v Howards 3XI 3

Bridgend 2nd XI got a well-deserved point from this game, yet again playing without a keeper , they kept Howard’s out for the first 15 minutes of the game with the opposition’s first goal coming from a marking error. Bridgend hit back straight away with a well worked goal from Swawiza Gobhur, the game then continued with each team scoring and then counter scoring, Carys Shread, and Mims Beckinsale getting the next two for Bridgend. Bridgend played well as a team, and deserved this draw against a good Cardiff side.

Welsh Shield Game – Bridgend Ladies 1XI 3 v Presteigne – 1

The ladies built on their strong Saturday performance when they met Presteigne in the first round of the Shield on Sunday 21st October. Feeling positive and determined a strong forward line were able to put two goals on the scoreboard within the first 15mins (Jo Poupon and Kayleigh John). A hard attack was placed on the visiting team along with a strong defence. The second half saw a lovely reverse stick goal from Hannah Sainsbury which allowed the ladies a comfortable 3-1 win to take them through to the next round. Well done girls!!

Bridgend 1st XI 2 v Cardiff B 3

Top of the table Cardiff were the visitors to Pencoed, for an early season top of the table clash, and it was the visitors who went home with all the points after a 3-2 victory. Previously unbeaten Bridgend on the back of games against Bristol UWE, Cleevilians and Lydney went into the game knowing that a win would put them clear at the top of the table, but it wasn’t to be after a strong Cardiff team raced into a two goal lead. Bridgend did manage to claw their way back into proceedings thanks to a goal from Richard Knight, only for the away side to score a decisive third. Rhys Owen scored late on with a fantastic trademark penalty corner routine, but it was too little too late, as the league leaders ran out eventual winners. Next up is an away game against fifth placed Cardiff Medics on saturday.

Bridgend 2nd XI 3 v Swansea City C  1

After a great start to the season, Bridgend travelled to Swansea looking for a second consecutive win, and that’s exactly what they got thanks to a 3-1 win against Swansea. Following on from his exploits last week, Rhodri Owen scored his fourth goal in two games, while the evergreen Jon Catton showed that he can teach a few opposition defenders a lesson or two! Nick Cooke rounded off the scoring a very satisfying win for Bridgend, who are now second in De Cymru Division 1, having won three out of their four games to date.

Bridgend Men 3XI 2 v Penarth 2XI 3

After two poor results, Bridgend put together a much improved performance with quicker amd more accurate passing, against a strong and experienced Penarth side.

As a result of continuing outward publicity, Bridgend has gained new players and the side benefitted from strong debuts from Jon Wilks, Ian Blatchford and Thomas Stuckey-Mounter. They strengthened the midfield, where Ross Allen and John Woodward put in solid performances, with Tom Pearce and youngster Gareth Collier supporting well on the flanks.

Bridgend’s defence was put under sporadic attacks from Penarth, with stalwarts Derek Jones and Ian Smith, ever running Alasdair Brown, and dependable John Thomas thwarting any danger, although Penarth were lucky to go ahead after 15 minutes.

This spurred Bridgend to mount several attacks via their midfield, with Jon Wilks giving hard and accurate passes – a welcome change from previous games. Bridgend soon equalised, when Jeremy Ingram hit a firm cross across goal, for Jack Steer to deflect the ball in to the net.

This equaliser spurred Bridgend to greater efforts, and deservedly went ahead when Jeremy Ingram had the final shot following good attacking work from Tom Pearce and Ian Blatchford. It was unfortunate that on the stroke of half-time, Penarth equalised when the defence was stretched and their final shot was placed wide of goalkeeper and skipper Cliff Harrison.

The second half was an even affair with both sides putting attacks together, only for Penarth to score ten minutes from time. Bridgend tried hard to force a deserved equaliser, and this nearly came when the Penarth goalkeeper brought of a magnificent save from the final play of the game, when Jon Wilks struck the ball well from a penalty corner.

This improved team performance gives the side good spirit and determination for future games.