Match reports Saturday 7th Feb

Match reports Saturday 7th Feb

Bridgend 1st XI 0-2 Cardiff And Met
In appalling conditions, Bridgend made the commute to long time rivals Cardiff. The match was fast paced with Bridgend’s back line busy from the outset. Cardiff stuck to their offensive style of hockey, which left themselves prone to the probing runs of Paul Jones, who supplied captain David Knight with the best chance of the half, which went screaming over the bar. Cardiff continued to apply pressure which enclosed Bridgend, who found it difficult to provide their forward line with anything on which to build. Cardiff managed to sneak a goal as they counter attacked using their advanced numbers to their advantage. 
The second half saw a similar story, with Cardiff scoring early on, from a punishing counter attack. Keeper Adam Hawas shut up shop after this keeping out anything that entered his territory. Interplay between Jack ‘of all trades’ Jopson and Jacob Hodges lead to a number of good scoring opportunities, with the best falling to Jopson who’s first strike disabled the keeper and as his second allegedly flew towards the top corner it was plucked off the line by a defender. With promotion hopes severely dashed after this performance Bridgend must look to rebuild and re-establish themselves as the force to be reckoned with from the start of the season!
Bridgend A 2-6 Cheltenham B 
Bridgend began the game attacking down the left hand side however Cheltenham turned defence into attack and took an early lead. Their lead was soon doubled with a well taken second goal. This triggered the never say die attitude of Bridgend with Kris Williams setting up Gareth Coleman who slammed home from the top of the ‘D’ also breaking the net. Bridgend continued to attack in the second half being cheered along by club cheer leader Emma Winch rattling her Pom poms. This gave star man Gavin Pound the extra courage to slide the ball between the keepers legs in damp, moist conditions. Bridgend didn’t get the rub of the green in the final stages with Cheltenham coming out on top on this occasion.
Bridgend development team V Abergavenny development team 

On a very wet and cold Saturday afternoon Bridgend travelled to abergavenny . Bridgend started the game slowly and was soon put under pressure from abergavenny which Bridgend defence of John Thomas Matthew tudball Stephen mansell and Dan layshon in goals dealt with the best they could but couldn’t hold out to the continuous attacks from abergavenny who scored on a numerous times the midfield of Andy and Luke Davis with Mike Hodges and Arwel Clement started to put in some nice passes to up front players of Jeremy Ingram James tudball Llew Williams who got into the abergavenny goal area and put in some shots of their own . Sam Ingram come on and played his part in attack in the last 20 minutes goalkeeper cliff Harrison come on for Dan layshon who made some good saves Bridgend did manage to score a goal of their own. 
Bridgend ladies 1 V Swansea Uni 1s 3

Torrential weather for today’s game down in Swansea. Bit of a slow start for the blues in the first half which led to the uni girls getting two goals passed the Bridgend defence into the back of the net. It definitely put heads down and confidence low for the away team but after a pep talk at half time spirits were lifted and the blues were granted a Penalty Flick which Emma winch took the opportunity of getting them onto the score board. Although Swansea put another one in the goal Bridgend didn’t stop working 100%. A break next weekend will do the team some good time to rest and get back on track for the next one.
Ladies 2’s 1-4 Whitchurch Saints

Bridgend ladies 2nds in monsoon weather conditions gave a good fight against a well drilled Whitchurch Saints side. From the first whistle saints attacked the Bridgend goal,this was how the game was to proceed,with saints getting two goals in quick succession, but Bridgend shook off the wet weather and starting to work as a team moving up the pitch to gain a short corner, this was blocked, but from a hit though the middle of the pitch Seren Burgum managed to get a touch to the ball in the D and scored. The second half saw Bridgend buoyed by the goal attaching saints defence, but they were quick to come back and scored another two open goals. Bridgend fought hard to get back into the game. But was unable to captialise on the shots on goal. Final score 4-1

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.